Simstopia
Hello and Welcome to Simstopia! Feel free to create an account, but if you already have one, welcome back.

why are people on youtube complaining about the name of the first movie/book of HP??

Go down

why are people on youtube complaining about the name of the first movie/book of HP??

Post by MadameChung on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I apologize for this. I just didn't know where to put it since we don't have an HP general thread. Well I was looking at youtube vids about HP and twice I see "ITS PHILOSOPHER'S STONE NOT SORCERER'S STONE!"

https://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=73f3b31VsX

Last edited by MadameChung on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : swearing, but everything else is fine)
MadameChung
Charismatic
Charismatic

Back to top Go down

Re: why are people on youtube complaining about the name of the first movie/book of HP??

Post by Kels on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, there's two reasons:

1) In Britain and several other countries, the book was released as "Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone".

2) People on Youtube complain about everything. Pay it no mind. Razz

Current hours worked on the site: Over 100011001010002, 232816, 214508, 20302204, 8P832, OTAwMA==64

Kels
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: why are people on youtube complaining about the name of the first movie/book of HP??

Post by MadameChung on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah I know that in UK and other places called it by the alchemy title . But all true HP fan knows the reason why U.S. change it to "sorcerer's" instead.

I'm also aware of number 2.
MadameChung
Charismatic
Charismatic

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't know why they're complaining either...they are the same dang book. Want to complain about something (not you, anne), try complaining about something worth complaining about...like Stephanie Meyer's train-wreck of a "love" story/writing. Spew Razz
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Life of the Party August 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen July 2011 Forum Queen

http://brunettesimgirlsimmies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MadameChung on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

I know you mean not me. That's my feeling exactly. So what if a couple of words got changed (like sweater instead of "jumper" and mom instead of mum/mam )big deal!!
MadameChung
Charismatic
Charismatic

Back to top Go down

Post by annasommer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 am

I guess the people who complained did not know that it was released under two different titles - I didn't know it either, btw - and raged simply because they thought this title was wrong.

Jeeze. I saw people complaining about the homepage of ProjectRed being in polish Rolling Eyes
annasommer
Genius
Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by Conorsim on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 am

MadameChung wrote:Yeah I know that in UK and other places called it by the alchemy title . But all true HP fan knows the reason why U.S. change it to "sorcerer's" instead.

Actually, I disagree.

Saying "all true HP fans know the reason why ..." is a bit arrogant. I understand why it's called the Philosopher's Stone, but I don't understand the need to change it to Sorcerer's Stone for America. Is it offensive? WOW I mean, The Philosopher's Stone is a real myth.... JK Rowling didn't make it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone - so then why would it be called the Sorcerer's Stone? If the Sorcerer's Stone is actually The Philosopher's Stone? Speechless IDK, doesn't make sense to me. Dunno

Or maybe I'm not a real HP Fan Fighting
Conorsim
Genius
Genius

Featured Member July 2011 Featured Member
Life of the Party July 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen August 2011 Forum King

Back to top Go down

Post by MadameChung on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am

sorry didn't mean to offend you Conor. The reason they changed it were either 1) the world "Philosopher" wasn't magical enough or 2) the U.S. didn't think children would understand what a Philosopher was.
MadameChung
Charismatic
Charismatic

Back to top Go down

Post by brunettesimgirl on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Conorsim wrote:
MadameChung wrote:Yeah I know that in UK and other places called it by the alchemy title . But all true HP fan knows the reason why U.S. change it to "sorcerer's" instead.

Actually, I disagree.

Saying "all true HP fans know the reason why ..." is a bit arrogant. I understand why it's called the Philosopher's Stone, but I don't understand the need to change it to Sorcerer's Stone for America. Is it offensive? WOW I mean, The Philosopher's Stone is a real myth.... JK Rowling didn't make it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone - so then why would it be called the Sorcerer's Stone? If the Sorcerer's Stone is actually The Philosopher's Stone? Speechless IDK, doesn't make sense to me. Dunno

Or maybe I'm not a real HP Fan Fighting

They changed it to Sorcerer's Stone because they didn't think children would want to read a book with the word "Philosopher"
in the title. Way to dumb down the American children, book publishers! Rolling Eyes

Anne--I've never heard that they changed the word because it wasn't magical enough. scratch that's a new one for me...

Personally, I don't think they should have changed anything with the original book. I was reading the other day that they changed the word "Leaned" to "Leant" in the American version...did they really think we wouldn't have understood what "leaned" meant had it been left as it was? Suspect
brunettesimgirl
Administrator
Administrator

Life of the Party August 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen July 2011 Forum Queen

http://brunettesimgirlsimmies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by miktiger on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:01 pm

lol, way to get this on TMN guys. Thumbs Up
miktiger

Location : BEFORE THE PARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE PASSES BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Conorsim on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 am

miktiger wrote:lol, way to get this on TMN guys. Thumbs Up

Saw it last night - couldn't stop laughing Laughing Laughing Of all the threads, of all the blogs, of all the forums in the sims community they chose Simstopia Awesome Face Peace

BTW, Anne, I'm not offended. Just confused WOW Brun, that's a very stupid reason Confused I mean, most people should know what a phi ... philos... philoserperor is Shy 1 Angry
Conorsim
Genius
Genius

Featured Member July 2011 Featured Member
Life of the Party July 2011 Life of the Party
Forum King or Queen August 2011 Forum King

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum